I suggest you ...

Allow download of PDFs directly from Mendeley Desktop

If a reference has an URL/DOI/PMID/etc., but no PDF yet associated with it, allow downloading this PDF automatically with a click from Mendeley Desktop.

Obviously only for freely accessible PDFs, and supported websites. This would work in exactly the same way as the bookmarklet import.

2,344 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
janne-hyotylajanne-hyotyla shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Clara KellinyClara Kelliny shared a merged idea: Quick way of importing PDFs from the web if all you have is the reference  ·   · 
Kshitij ChawlaKshitij Chawla shared a merged idea: Entering the PMID or DOI of an article via Add File Manually should also give the option to download that PDF from the same interface.  ·   · 
fourskysfourskys shared a merged idea: Automatically fetch the PDF from an online source  ·   · 
Scott HendricksonScott Hendrickson shared a merged idea: Allow adding a document via doi number only, and automatically download pdf  ·   · 
MendeleyAdminMendeley (Admin, Mendeley) responded  · 

We are aware of this request and have logged it with our Development Team. Obviously there are various problems associated with implementing a change such as this. Nevertheless, the request has been noted.

92 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Dean MarkDean Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Been using Mendeley for a single day. Decided to ditch it just because of this feature.

• Igor PetrikIgor Petrik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a serious limitation and seems very straight forward to implement, to me. Much the same way Zotero does - rather than downloading the files to the server, just have an addon that automatically detects the PDF URL and feeds it to Mendeley desktop.

• Pulkit BudhirajaPulkit Budhiraja commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Doing a Google Scholar search on a paper returns free link to download it 9/10 times. If passing by the online payment portal is a difficult task, redirecting through Google Scholar maybe a helpful .

• Milos PopovicMilos Popovic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a make or break feature. I paid for Mendeley for my research group, at a level of 5 people. I was going to expand to more after testing it out. That web importing papers directly with PDFs is not implemented is a major fail. Basically it means we will probably go back to Papers, or to Zotero or another tool. Using the bookmarklet to save the reference, then downloading the file, then syncing the desktop and adding the PDF to the record is a waste of time and defeats the purpose of the app. If I wanted to do that, I would use JabRef, and organize my PDFs myself.

• Anya IllesAnya Illes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ug. Just started using Mendeley and I discover that it is a pain to get a pdf linked to a reference? How disappointing. Back to Zotero. Z has it's annoyances, but at least pdfs download with the reference more or less easily.

• Sadhbh ByrneSadhbh Byrne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is my main problem with Mendeley! The 'Save to Mendeley' bookmarklet is practically useless to me without this function. It would save so much time if, when I have a PDF open online, I could just click 'Save to Mendeley' and it would save as a PDF in my Mendeley desktop, rather than having to save the file into the Watch folder

• junaid alijunaid ali commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can add the references to watch folder. Mendeley works pretty well from there onward.

• James NormanJames Norman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is sorely missing from Mendeley. In Endnote, I could add references from a database, then "find full text" from my library to get PDFs if they were available. Right now, I'm using EndNote to do this and them importing references into Mendeley.

• jiagui liujiagui liu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have suggested them something similar like adding a function to download pdf by double click the items in the library. it should be useful

• Yi MaYi Ma commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I used to just drag the pdf link to Mendeley but now this function seems to be down. I could see the importing process but after it is 100%, I don't see the reference in the list. I think this is a bug and hope they can fix it.

• gilles marodongilles marodon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I feel that would be the real kickoff for Mendeley vs End... (no publicity) but there is hope. I am quitting E...Note for Mendeley (and MS office to LibreOffice). Resist!

• mighalis magnusmighalis magnus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a large database of papers imported without pdf's (the majority of them are from Arxiv) and i have to re-download and merge by hand. As you could understand i cannot waste so much time when other software do it very very easy. So i agree tha Mendeley comes to second/third place. I already started searching for a replace.

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base