I suggest you ...

making it possible to highlight text with different colors (not only yellow)

3,128 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Amr El-HadidyAmr El-Hadidy shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Farid AtighehchiFarid Atighehchi shared a merged idea: Coloured Highlights  ·   · 
Katherine ShireyKatherine Shirey shared a merged idea: Make different color highlighting available to aid tracking of big ideas across articles.  ·   · 
Bassem AlamiBassem Alami shared a merged idea: Highlights colours  ·   · 
Akhilesh K.S. YadavAkhilesh K.S. Yadav shared a merged idea: Make it to highlights in three/four colours  ·   · 
ArunkumarArunkumar shared a merged idea: Currently the text can be highlighted using only yellow colour. If some more colors are there, it would good.  ·   · 
kumarakurubaran selvarajkumarakurubaran selvaraj shared a merged idea: I request adding more features to desktop pdf viewer, more colors for highlighting tools,more font colors for notes  ·   · 
PaulPaul shared a merged idea: Add highlight colors  ·   · 
Bryce BushmanBryce Bushman shared a merged idea: Enhance the highlight tool with more colors and an option to export all text highlighted in each color.  ·   · 
Camille CoudratCamille Coudrat shared a merged idea: possibility to highlight references in different colours in the main interface (like can be done already in MacOS for files)  ·   · 
Ramon PendezaRamon Pendeza shared a merged idea: Add colors to the highlight text tool!!! ASAP =D  ·   · 
Ana Raquel SoaresAna Raquel Soares shared a merged idea: It would also be nice to underline in different colours and to have the possibility to put boxes around text/figures.  ·   · 
Akshaya Kumar BiswalAkshaya Kumar Biswal shared a merged idea: that there should be a option to choose different colours for highlighting the text  ·   · 
Urun TekinUrun Tekin shared a merged idea: Add a tool to remove highlights, as if highlighting them, and give different color options for importance classification.  ·   · 
Mathias HasselblattMathias Hasselblatt shared a merged idea: add different colors for notes and highlight.  ·   · 
AmirAmir shared a merged idea: Different colours for text highlighting would be very welcome.  ·   · 
AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: It will be very good if user could modify colors when using highlight function, That would be very helpful for clearity  ·   · 
Dogukan Dogu YavasliDogukan Dogu Yavasli shared a merged idea: to add different colour of highlight tools for texts -- not only yellow  ·   · 
Hao WANGHao WANG shared a merged idea: More color choices to highlight the text  ·   · 
BkrohnBkrohn shared a merged idea: Color selection of notes  ·   · 
Ryan MorrieRyan Morrie shared a merged idea: add more multiple colors to the highlight option on Mendeley desktop  ·   · 
AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Coloured highlights  ·   · 
Dominique ArseneaultDominique Arseneault shared a merged idea: Making it possible to highlight library entries with color  ·   · 
Christopher HarwoodChristopher Harwood shared a merged idea: Annotations: Cleaner, simpler display in notes pane; Categorization/Tagging; Colors  ·   · 
Andrea GonzalezAndrea Gonzalez shared a merged idea: add multiple colours for the highlighter feature  ·   · 
Adrian Tovar SimoncicAdrian Tovar Simoncic shared a merged idea: Add more review tools (e.g. colors for marker)  ·   · 
David MastersDavid Masters shared a merged idea: Resize, different colours, and tags for post-it notes  ·   · 
Mauricio AndresMauricio Andres shared a merged idea: Coloured annotations  ·   · 
planned  ·  MendeleyAdminMendeley (Admin, Mendeley) responded  · 

Hey everyone, we’ve added a comment below explaining the situation with this feature in more detail, to give you all a better understanding of why this is a non-trivial change. We’ve changed the status to “Planned” now that we have some actual movement towards it, as outlined below.

Appreciate your patience, especially with such sparse updates from our end. Apologies for that.

189 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Omar MianOmar Mian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Whilst you're working on improvements to your annotations framework (which I assume is necessary to implement this feature), can I please suggest you also give us the ability to toggle on/off the display of annotations.

When I want to look at a previously-read paper with a fresh eye, the annotations get in the way. I'd like to be able to hide them from view without deleting them.

Would also like to be able to hide the group annotations on a paper independently of my personal annotations. The inability to do this is why I don't use Mendeley groups, even though group annotations do show up in a different colour.

• Mostafa ZahmatkeshMostafa Zahmatkesh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm very agree! i need at least 2 different colors, and because its not possible with mandeley, i have to open my files with another software.

• Jussi PalomäkiJussi Palomäki commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"At some point in the past, a choice was made to differentiate the highlights of each user by showing them in different colours." (admin 13.2.2013)

How about creating two modes for viewing documents: "group" and "alone". In "group" mode Mendeley would work as it works now. In "alone" mode user could create "annotations by virtual collegues". This way different colors could be achieved without fundamentally changing anything else.

• Rashid NaseemRashid Naseem commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please include more colors in highlighting the text. It will increase the values of quality factors like usability, user-satisfaction, understandability and much more. And you know that the success and failure of any software system is depend on the quality factors.

• Pieter van HeyningenPieter van Heyningen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please can you add some colours to the highlighting function asap!! The very fact that you can work on your pdf. and annotate, makes Mendeley more competitive and a better product. Improve your competitiveness by listening to your audience please. More colours needed now. Thanks in advance.

• Daniel GoverDaniel Gover commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there any update on when this will be available? Will it be added to the iPad app too? It would be very useful for identifying different types of information.

• Gustavo ParraGustavo Parra commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Differents colors please ! So, there will be two colors: left bottom (yellow) and right bottom (red/green, etc.).

• Joana FélixJoana Félix commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To use different highlighting colors, I simply click right with the mouse on the article (at mendeley's list of papers I've created), and choose "Open file externally". Like this, I can use the different highlighting colors I have in my PDF tools, and the highlighted text will be synchronized with mendely.

• William BryantWilliam Bryant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In addition to highlighting in different colors, notes of different colors would be abundantly helpful as well.

• Mathieu MeleuxMathieu Meleux commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The point with naming the colours is perfect! Best, to have a legend in the pull-down menue for highlighting text. One colour for methods, one for results, ...
    Perhaps you could make it possible to set the colour for the different subjects in the properties of mendeley?

• José Manuel PavezJosé Manuel Pavez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I strongly agree the idea of different colours of highligth and notes. It let us organize different kind of information in a paper.

• Julia FeldmanJulia Feldman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add annotations in different colors as well. It would also be wonderful if the colors could be given names by the user. Thanks! Many of my friends have told me that they won't switch to Mendeley until this feature is enabled.

• Javier MoralesJavier Morales commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi!
    I would like not only to have more colors to highlight pfd, but also, a "rubber" to erase wich is already highlighted.
    Regards.

• piers newlandpiers newland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would it still be possible to layer the highlighting so as to create areas of emphasis within highlighted text (as now)?
    Foxit pdf reader allows this and I find it really useful.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 9 10

Feedback and Knowledge Base