I suggest you ...

Add an option in the Mendeley Plugin for Word to correctly count the number of words in the document

At present, when you do a word count in Word, the fields in Word are not counted correctly, so if you highlight a citation the Word count may not accurately display the number of Words in that citation (it counts the field code, rather than the text the user sees). This is a problem with Microsoft Word, and Mendeley are not able to directly resolve this issue.

However, it may be possible to create a button in the plugin which counts the text in the Word document without the citations and possibly add the citation number. If you would like to vote for fixing the word count, please vote here as we would be able to resolve this issue with enough interest.

265 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
MendeleyAdminMendeley (Admin, Mendeley) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Anonymous shared a merged idea: Deal with bug that seems to have disabled the ability to 'word count' a selection in word when it contains Mendeley citations.  ·   · 
Jamie BullJamie Bull shared a merged idea: MS Word - word count not working (some references counting as 300+ words)  ·   · 
n hilln hill shared a merged idea: fix the bug that prevents word count from working in MS Word 2007 on sections with citations inserte  ·   · 

27 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Orr SpiegelOrr Spiegel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A simple solution to this problem (Mendely desktop + windows 7 + MS word 2010) is to ignore the number that appears in the words count ruler in the lower left corner of MS word. if you click it, the popup window (where words, characters and paragraphs count are specified) gives the correct count. For instance in this paragraph (i made a screen captiure but i cannot post it here) that has few mendeley references the lower bar says 1132 words, but the popup window report correctly -151 words.
    hope it helps
    Orr S

• Shinta NishinoShinta Nishino commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It seems to happen when something is written in abstract section in Mendeley. When you delete the abstract word count becomes normal.
    But there is an exception; a certain combination of references would make incorrect word count. This is something like this, " bra bra (Romano, 2012). According to Armington (2013) bra bra".

• Vincent BerardiVincent Berardi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This problem is still not fixed. Very annoying to have to paste plain-text in a second document to get an accurate word count.

• adrian byramadrian byram commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What makes this annoying is that it is inconsistent. With Mendeley 1.10.1 and Word 2013 it mostly reports an incorrect word count in the status bar if the selected text includes Mendeley citations. But occasionally, just to mess with your brain, it reports the correct word count.
    I did confirm that using the word count under the Review tab does work correctly in all situations. A nuisance to have to it that way, but not the end of the world.

• Niladri GuptaNiladri Gupta commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A simple work around is to insert the citations but not the bibliography in the document initially. Then total word count is fine. it does not include the bibliography. Once you are satisfied with the word count then include the bibliography.

• Jin ZhaoJin Zhao commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For me, it only happens when selecting a paragraph containing Mendeley citations, but it's fine when counting the whole document.

• Marco SuadoniMarco Suadoni commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A workaround would be to select the content of the whole document, "paste special" it as "unformatted text" in a new empty document and use word count there.

• Anthony BurgessAnthony Burgess commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I completely agree. I didn't even notice until my supervisor pointed it out when he highlighted a small paragraph bit and it came up as 800 words! I've got a dissertation that apparently is 28,000 words long, but I can't trust the word count for just this reason. A simple plug-in that could ignore fields would go a long long way to remedying this.

• Stefanie HeckStefanie Heck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I stumbled over the same problem, after worrying that i need to cut words. But as I checked one citation alone had 657 Words, which means the word count tool does not work with mendeley. In a thesis of 15,000 words it is really annoying and time consuming to count the words manually, or abstract wise.

Will this be fixed soon?

• Timotheus KrahlTimotheus Krahl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Admin, I do not understand why you have declined this Bug Report, this is a very serve issue and still a problem (I'm using 1.8.3 as I don't have the credentials to do the update myself at the uni, however the Release Notes do not indicate that this problem has been fixed thus far).

Today I stumbled on a 300 word paragraph (my estimate before checking with Word which turned out to be "true") which counts for 1,249 words. As it was way to short for so many words I started checking and figured out that the following citation has 975 words (Havard Style):
    (Bonanno 2012, pp.99, 101; Kneebone & Debeljak 2010, p.138; Jayagupta 2009, p.235; Sauterey 2008, p.10)

Please fix that as soon as possible, I guess each day one of the users submits a 75,000 plus word thesis, and this can really cause trouble for him/her.

• Clare Walton-LomaxClare Walton-Lomax commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am struggling with the same problem which is how I came to find this post. What is the solution? as I am also concerned about previous assignments handed in being under the word count.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base