I suggest you ...

Enable the built-in PDF reader to recognize annotations (notes, highlights, etc.) made in external PDF readers (such as Acrobat and Evince).

The built-in PDF reader do not recognize annotations (notes, highlights, etc.) made in external PDF readers (such as Acrobat Reader and Evince). The problem is twofold:
(1) when I include notes on Mendeley, I must export the notes as a new PDF file, so they cannot e changed in another PDF reader; and
(2) when I include notes on my Android device (with any PDF reader), the notes are not recognized by Mendeley.

My suggestion is to enable the Mendeley's built-in PDF reader to recognize such annotations. So the changes made both on my tablet (external reader) or on my desktop (built-in) are compatible.

2,345 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Gabriel De Oliveira RamosGabriel De Oliveira Ramos shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Pedro PereiraPedro Pereira shared a merged idea: Import highlights/notes from Adobe Reader  ·   · 
sitansitan shared a merged idea: Export pdf with annotation.  ·   · 
pshahpshah shared a merged idea: Annotations like Preview  ·   · 
Idan BarirIdan Barir shared a merged idea: Support importing existing Adobe Acrobat notes  ·   · 
richrich shared a merged idea: Notes from PDF annotations  ·   · 
MartinMartin shared a merged idea: Option to save my highlights and comments in the PDF documents themselves.  ·   · 
theunseen123theunseen123 shared a merged idea: make the highlighting and notes compatible with foxit reader's highlighting and notes  ·   · 
Bernd BrecherBernd Brecher shared a merged idea: compability to adobe reader and pdf xchange viewer annotations  ·   · 
Peter GallagherPeter Gallagher shared a merged idea: import and export Skim notes, highlights  ·   · 
GregorGregor shared a merged idea: sticky note generated in Mendeley recognized by Adobe  ·   · 
Brendan Johan LeeBrendan Johan Lee shared a merged idea: Latest version (0.9.7.1) doesn't export annotated notes  ·   · 
Marcelo CarlosMarcelo Carlos shared a merged idea: PDF annotations should be compatible with other PDF readers  ·   · 
Anonymous shared a merged idea: Recognize sticky notes created by acrobat and other PDF utilities.  ·   · 
RWendlerRWendler shared a merged idea: Show comment annotations made in preview or allow pdfs to be opened from Mendeley in preview.  ·   · 
Mauricio AndresMauricio Andres shared a merged idea: Import annotations from PDF  ·   · 
drewfrankdrewfrank shared a merged idea: Integration with external note-taking apps  ·   · 

166 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • OBrendelOBrendel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So how comes that I read and edit annotations made with Acrobat, Xchange viewer and Foxit ! They way they do annotations must be similar in some way !

• Anh Tu NguyenAnh Tu Nguyen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is hard and nearly impossible, because different pdf reader uses different library to make and show annotation, and we don't know how they store/process metadata (document properties) for those annotations.

• Alan BesterAlan Bester commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's this missing feature that prevents me from subscribing to the Mendeley service. I really do prefer the layout and office integration of Mendeley over Zotero, but the latter syncs all my annotations made in an external markup program. Will pay for that feature.

• Frank RuttenFrank Rutten commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I fully support introducing more compatibility with pdf notes made using other software (Adobe Reader) - or even better an Android version of Mendeley for tablets, with full note taking and highlighting capability so that I can stick to a single piece of software across all platforms.
    Am starting to use Mendeley and mostly really like it, but if neither of these facilities appears soon will just need to switch software. Have far too little time to read papers as is and can't afford to waste it on cumbersome software solutions!

answer to Steve Dennis : it is great that you want to add annotation features that are not (yet) a pdf standard; however the annotation features that are (simple highlighting, simple notes) should be completely compatible and it should be left to the user to decide if s/he wants to use advance Mendeley only features, or compatible features; for many people (looking at the votes for this), Mendeley will probably never be the only pdf annotation tool, and the problem that Mendeley canno search/screen/show standard annotations in pdf files or that annotations done in mendeley can be (by option) saved with the pdf (as well as stored in the internal database) is such a handicap, that it will very probably discourage many users.

• João PazJoão Paz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Making annotations in Mendeley and saving a new file everytime is unviable
    I always use an external reader to annotate and internal bookmark pdfs so i can acess them everywhere. But the (high) price i pay is that I cannot search them in Mendeley. I use tags but have to look for the annotation the tag reffered to in the text.
    What would be FANTASTIC: in text tagging, like QDA software does.

• Greg DesGreg Des commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My suggestion is to enable the Mendeley's built-in PDF reader to recognize such annotations. So the changes made both on my tablet (external reader) or on my desktop (built-in) are compatible.

Thanks,

I can see why "synchronization" is on the bottom of the list. I think what would be very necessary in the moment, is a) import of notes, b) export of notes in a format that can be edited by standard pdf readers (in the moment, for an exported note, you get not only the note itself, which can be edited and removed, but also a nardcoded "number, date, by:author" icon on the left border of the page, as well as a hardcoded speaking bubble in the text. Both cannot be edited or removed by a pdf reader. ALso highlightin seems to be hardcoded and cannot be edited by a pdf reader (such as pdf XChange). Such a situaiton should clearly be avoided.
    c) bulk export of annotated pdf, e.g. of all pdf of a search result.
    i'm really looking forward to testing these new features
    Thanks in advance for listening to your users
    Oliver

• Steve DennisSteve Dennis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Note: By 'lossy', we won't remove annotations from the PDF that we don't support, but rather just won't display them. Any we do support will be converted to and from our format (stored separately from the PDF, for quicker syncing).

"Even better would be if the notes kept in the Mendeley database could be automatically be kept in synch (if one wishes so) with the notes in the pdf"

I see why you'd want this, but this won't be what we're aiming for. The minimum I'm expecting at this stage will be an (unfortunately lossy) import/export of highlights, sticky text notes, the colours of these things. Hopefully line-drawing will follow shortly after. For largely technical reasons, we won't be making the import or export a continuous sync, as we want to be adding annotation features that don't exist in the standard PDF specs, and it will add all kinds of headaches and edge-cases that will chew up our time.

I hope we can get started on it soon, I'm still in sales-pitch mode.

Thanks Steve for these good news, this is the one sore point that makes not quite 100% switching to Mendeley.
    It would be great if you could keep in mind real interoperability, that is not only the integration of comments in the pdf files to be integrated in the Mendeley database, but also the export of comments made in Mendeley in the standard pdf format (there is a problem with the standard pdf format in the moment).
    Even better would be if the notes kept in the Mendeley database could be automatically be kept in synch (if one wishes so) with the notes in the pdf, and then an option to export the pdf without any annotations .... (but this can also be done with good pdf readers such as PdfXChange.
    Now I would only need import and export between Folders (and their structure) and keywords (which are bibtex exported) and I would be 100% happy ..... ;-)

I just merged a whole bunch of similar requests into this one, so it's much more visible / higher up our priorities. Trying to make a strong case for this internally at the moment. Bear with us.

For me also this is biggest problem with Mendeley and which makes me try to switch to Zotero.
    The problem is actually not only that mendeley does not recognize annotations made with other pdf readers, but also that the export of Mendeley annotations (File/Export pdf with Annotations) is not done in a standard way and external pdf readers cannot delete/edit the annotations made with Mendeley. There is another bug filed for this, however I cannot find it anymore. By the way, 562 notes is an underestimation, as there are at least a dozen other bugs/suggestions filed with similar ideas/problems.
    I think that a good solution would be to keep Annotations and highlights in the pdf using the standard pdf format AS WELL AS in the separate Mendeley database. And instead of "export pdf with annotations", to have "export pdf without annotations", and to also get the choice when sending a pdf as email attachment to do so with or without annotations.

• AmiN DarbandiAmiN Darbandi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yea, I agree with this and I don't wanna use Mandeley anymore because I tired to add note to original file or highlight them again!

• Shayan Aliakbar TabriziShayan Aliakbar Tabrizi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is a Export with Annotations option. But the quality is not good. It seems that the highlights are merged with the pdf text itself. i.e. for example in Adobe PDF, highlights are not shown in Comments List. I could not also remove them. It looks like the background of the pdf text is yellow, not a normal text with a highlight on it.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

Feedback and Knowledge Base