I suggest you ...

Please reinstall the "save website snapshot" feature to the Web Importer.

57 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Olga LoblovaOlga Loblova shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • James PageJames Page commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would vote, but I'm all out of votes to give. Mind-boggling that it's been removed, given that webpages disappear and move all the time.

• Christopher JonesChristopher Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am very surprised to hear that this was removed. No serious researcher is going to just hope that the web page is not taken down or changed.

• rosa lloprosa llop commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also will appreciate the "Save PDF snapshot of the current web page" option mentioned by Jacques.

• RadinaRadina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good points, Jacques, I can see how that workflow works better for you.

I don't necessarily need the PDF snapshot, but I wouldn't mind having it if it's the only/easier way to have this option back.

In short, Mendeley PLEASE give us back the option to save web page snapshots, we do miss it! I have hardly used your platform since I discovered "snapshot-ing" was not possible anymore... :(

• Jacques RaubenheimerJacques Raubenheimer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Fellow Mendeley users

I also miss this option, but am actually glad that it was removed, because it forced me to an alternative which I in any case think is better.
    I use PDF Creator (or the Chrome browser's built-in tool) to save a PDF snapshot of the page. Some reasons why this is better:
    - date & timestamp stored with PDF (important for referencing)
    - PDF can be annotated in Mendeley (html not)
    - PDF better preserves page layout and images than html snapshot.
    - PDF is a near universal format that can be shared with most users. Yes, html is also universal, but the eventual layout is not as standardised, which makes sharing the captured file with other users more difficult.

In short, it is more work to first save a PDF of the web page and then to add that to Mendeley, but I find it is better in the long run.

If Mendeley does give us this back, I hope they give it back to us in the form of "Save PDF snapshot of the current web page."

• RadinaRadina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please give us back that option! Or at least some alternative way to save the chosen page. This was one of the the main reasons I used Mendeley in the first place!

Feedback and Knowledge Base