I suggest you ...

LaTeX integration in Mendeley Desktop

Let users specify a schema/key for BibTeX file export; export entire Mendeley library as BibTeX files; automatically keep exported BibTeX files in sync with Mendeley Desktop library contents

451 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
MendeleyAdminMendeley (Admin, Mendeley) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

51 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Could you tell me how to generate the .bib file automatically from the mendeley desktop for Windows version which I could use in Latex file to generate my bibliography. I have seen following link which explains it for Mac version of mendeley. http://blog.mendeley.com/tipstricks/howto-use-mendeley-to-create-citations-using-latex-and-bibtex/#more-42890
    I found that similar features are missing in the windows version. Can you help me please!

• colombcolomb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

THIS CAN NOT BE VOTE FOR ANYMORE: A NEW "better LaTeX integration in Mendeley Desktop" feedack has been started: post there and vote please

• colombcolomb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since a lot of us use natbib, a customization of the copy function would be nice ( /cite{}, or citet{}, /citp*{}, ...). The best would be to have 2 shortcuts: one for the default copy (that could be modified) and one when it will be asked which type of citation one need.

• KathrinKathrin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also think this is a crucial feature! I just realized that mendeley can't do it properly, that is a huge disappointment! I really hope you add this feature very soon!

• stefano battistonstefano battiston commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

BIbtex is crucial for any serious scientific editing. At the moment the integration with bibtex is not sufficient. Top priorities in my view:
    1) allow to visualize and EDIT the bib entry of a reference without the need to export it on a file
    2) allow in particular to change the bibkey
    3) check for duplicate bibkey, as mentioned by others

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am still having troubles with duplicate citation keys - mendeley does not check that. it generated keys that already exist when adding a new document and when removing a key manually so it is regenerated! big problem

• fischumifischumi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Better LaTeX support, especially with BibLaTeX export and sync function is needed.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add support for BibLaTeX, which is intended to replace BibTeX within the next few years.

http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/help/Catalogue/entries/biblatex.html

BibLaTeX, in conjunction with the Biber backend, has full Unicode support and can handle bibliographies of any size.

Almost no reference managers support BibLaTeX at this time, so implementing BibLaTeX support now will give Mendeley a distinct advantage over competing products.

• Ivan DenisovIvan Denisov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Mendeley export not all fields to the BibTeX, but for correct binding to LaTeX I need the Language field be exported. I suggest to make the menu for customisation the export fields.

• gael reinaudigael reinaudi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

please, Bibtex is un-dissociable from scientific writing/reviewing.
    Without bibtex, it is not complete

• euzaliseuzalis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is a real need to force syncing. When working with Lyx or Latex, one needs to have always a bibtex file always up to date.
    I'm using the latest version of Mendeley Desktop. Sometimes, at each change the bibtex file is automaticaly synchronized and sometimes not. The only sollution I have found to force syncing is to close Mendeley Desktop and reopen it.
    Adding a button to force syncing as suggested by lcgong doesn't seem to be very difficult.
    cheers,

• Giovanni PireddaGiovanni Piredda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To neil.ernst: I have not yet understood whether this "citation key" field is what I mentioned in my previous comment or not. What I understand now is that I can write my own key manually in that field. I would like to generate *automatically* keys based on a scheme that I choose: is that possible?

• Michał BuśMichał Buś commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello.

Bibtex syncing is implemented in the latest versions of Mendeley Desktop (0.9.4 and later; see release notes for http://www.mendeley.com/release-notes/v0_9_4/), making it possible to automatically generate Bibtex files for the entire Mendeley Library, collections or documents.

This ticket now also appears to cover multiple other suggestions and problem reports. To keep better track of required improvements to this feature, it would be best if new suggestions, feedback, ideas and issues would be opened in separate threads.

More specific bug reports and issues can also be reported by contacting us at support@mendeley.com

Thanks!

• neil.ernstneil.ernst commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What is the way to force syncing of the auto-created bibtex per collection? I have a collection, say "bees", and if I add a document to that collection, I expect either a) that prompts recreation of the bibtex file bees.bib, or b) I hit refresh/sync/command-R to regenerate it. However the actual cue to sync seems to be neither, so I end up deleting the bibtex file and syncing. Can someone provide steps that can guarantee refresh?

BTW this feature is very nice.

@Giovanni:
    "If you open "Document Details", under options, you can turn on the citation key field." via fred.emmott

This allows you to control the format of this key.

• Giovanni PireddaGiovanni Piredda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have downloaded today the new version of Mendely with the Bibtex synchronization. First of all: it is a very nice step forward. There is still one thing (at least for me) that is very important, and it is to be able to automatically create citation keys according to my own scheme; I prefer to insert in the citation the journal name and a few words of the title too. As things are set now, Mendeley would overwrite any key that I generate with another program in the bibtex files that Mendeley keeps in sync. In any case - kudos for the good work.

• lcgonglcgong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's a wrong mapping. The mendeley's 'issue' field should be mapped into 'number' field in bib file.

And there is a workaround, which also filter out the url and doi:
    cat ../collection1.bib | sed -e '/^url = {/d' -e '/^doi = {/d' -e 's/^issue =/number =/' > paper.bib

• joachimrjoachimr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Am I really the only person who has this problem? Mendeley insists on using the label "Number" instead of "Issue" when it creates the BibTeX file. The resulting BibTeX file does not work correctly when I reference journal articles, as the information for the issue number is labeled incorrectly and therefore is not included in the bibliography. I used the standard set-up in Lyx and when I created the PDF, all the issue numbers were missing in the references. I cannot imagine that I am really the only person with this problem?

• Ryota TomiokaRyota Tomioka commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be nice if I could export bibtex entries (not the keys) of selected references into the clipboard ie "Copy BibTex Record" in bibdesk. Thanks!

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base