General

What can we do to help your research?

Here you can suggest and vote on improvements for future Mendeley releases.

If you have a suggestion regarding a specific part of Mendeley, please use the links on the right hand side of the window to add your suggestion to the corresponding area.

If you are looking for help using Mendeley or encounter any problems, please visit our Support Forum

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. 484 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    62 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Mendeley Institutional Edition Overview: post comments or questions

Dear colleagues,

In a "regular group" we can comment and share information or ask for a question with other members into the Overview tab" (under the title "Group activity").

Into the Institutional group it is not possible to share any information. It would be usefull to get this option in case members who manage the group (owner or admin) want to communicate something to members (a training date, a new versions, an own citation style, etc.).

It would be a good option that owner or admin could decide if the communication it is in one-way (from owner/admin to members) or…

51 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Institutional Edition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. stopping to make empty promises and implementing good suggestions much faster

After some time of not using Mendeley I gave it another try today as I am getting serious about writing my PhD thesis. I figured some issues and searched the web for those issues. I was positively surprised that other Mendeley users actually encountered similar problems and thus posted their ideas on this board for suggestions.

What shocks me though is how OLD these ideas are! Most of them were voted by many other users and were even “under review”. But apparently nothing is happening!

You want some examples? Here you go:
    Idea posted in Oct 2009. 1,206 votes. Under…

244 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    started  ·  24 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Citing a source within a source

I think it would be great if the manager could allow for a "Secondary Reference" category, that would be where the author has cited another author.

34 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Automatically convert highlight to note

Highlighting is now seperated from creating notes. Which means that you have to do the same work twice. First highlighting and next converting that to a note or notes.

It would be great if mendeley automatically does this. So when you highlight a certain phrase, that mendeley for example takes an adittional sentence before (or few words) and after and converts this to a note.

This way you automatically have your own overview of an article written in the notes

486 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    15 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add the download all documents feature to the Android version

It takes too much time to download all pdf files one by one

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. create different highlighting colors

create different highlighting colors for use in an analogous way to using different color highlighting markers.

36 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Collective highlighting - 'heat maps' for papers

I assume that most of the Mendeley users highlight the important parts of the papers they read with the Mendeley highlighting tool. I think it would be great to combine the highlighting effort made by everyone to create some kind of 'heat map mask' for each paper.

The highlighting information of each user could be collected. All of this highlighting information could then be averaged and saved in a mask, which is linked to and offerd for each DOI and could then be switched on for each paper. This would result in a 'heat map' for each paper where the…

40 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. OPEN WHERE YOU LEFT OFF OPTION!

Just like your web browser have the option for Mendeley to re-open the articles that were open when the application was closed.

This would be great to pick up where you left off between restarting your computer!

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Argument not optional (Error 449) in word plugin

After install the update 1.13.8
    Im getting the following error : Argument not optional (Error 449) in Mendeley Word plugin.

I reinstalled and the error persist.

Thanks

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Allow tagging the highlighted text within the PDFs

Highlighting and adding notes to the PDFs are no use if a researcher cannot tag them with specific ideas.

In general, we read the articles to identify which parts are important in building our own arguments or to specifically identify what we want to quote or cite from them.

So, just tagging the PDFs with general themes is no use. And, it is too time consuming to review all your notes to see which sections were of interest to you.

Thus, we directly want to tag the sentence(s)/paragraphs. And, once we search for a tag (e.g. impacts of poverty), we…

33 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. author fields should allow institutions which are containing a ","

I am not able to insert an Institution with a "," in its name to the author field. Is there some workaround or a possibility how this can be fixed? This shouldn't be too complicated, right?

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. When "Select text" is shown selected, the mouse controller actually is the pan

When I select "select text" icon while working on one document and then open another document, the toolbar shows that the "select text" is being selected, but the mouse controller has switched to pan.

I need to click "pan" and then "select text" to select or highlight text on a new document. This used to work properly on older versions.

I'm using version 1.13.4 on Ubuntu Trusty.

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Make a rectangular selection tool to copy figures or text as an image

It would be nice if Mendeley desktop had a rectangular selection tool, like Apple's Preview does, to select and copy figures or text and then paste them as images.

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Mendeley-crash instantly when open attached PDF generated by 'print-pdf'.

Mendeley crashes instantly when I double-click on attached pdf for viewing in pdf-viewer. I notice problematic pdfs are those generated by 'print to pdf' from webpages.
    Everytime this happens i submit a crash report but it has been 2 years and the problem still exist. I currently have to carefully mark those pdfs with crash-warning and open them outside Mendeley.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. annotated and highlighted texts are exportable

provide a feature so that highlighted texts are also exportable or can be shown in one place
    this feature can drastically improve user experience and will put you in front of all the current available softwares.

227 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. to add a option to download all the docs to SD card in Android App.

Every Android device, as the Windows Mobile device, has a option to install a SD card, to expand memory. It will be interesting if the App for Android (and a future App for Windows Mobile) had the option to use the SD card as a default location for the cache, like Pocket and other apps.

Thanks for bring Mendeley to Android!

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Allow editing of notes fields in Android app

The notes are currently read only in v1.0 of the Android app.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Scroll to page on Android

It would be helpful to have a scrollbar or an option to jump to a given page number on Android. Hard to scroll through hundreds of pages of a dissertation one by one.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. create new types for electronic version of books and journal articles

Include new types for e-books and e-journal articles, which would include a url and accessed date.

53 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 121 122
  • Don't see your idea?

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base