General

What can we do to help your research?

Here you can suggest and vote on improvements for future Mendeley releases.

If you have a suggestion regarding a specific part of Mendeley, please use the links on the right hand side of the window to add your suggestion to the corresponding area.

If you are looking for help using Mendeley or encounter any problems, please visit our Support Forum

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. 190 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    24 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Automatically convert highlight to note

Highlighting is now seperated from creating notes. Which means that you have to do the same work twice. First highlighting and next converting that to a note or notes.

It would be great if mendeley automatically does this. So when you highlight a certain phrase, that mendeley for example takes an adittional sentence before (or few words) and after and converts this to a note.

This way you automatically have your own overview of an article written in the notes

387 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    13 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. stopping to make empty promises and implementing good suggestions much faster

After some time of not using Mendeley I gave it another try today as I am getting serious about writing my PhD thesis. I figured some issues and searched the web for those issues. I was positively surprised that other Mendeley users actually encountered similar problems and thus posted their ideas on this board for suggestions.

What shocks me though is how OLD these ideas are! Most of them were voted by many other users and were even “under review”. But apparently nothing is happening!

You want some examples? Here you go:
    Idea posted in Oct 2009. 1,206 votes. Under…

93 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. annotated and highlighted texts are exportable

provide a feature so that highlighted texts are also exportable or can be shown in one place
    this feature can drastically improve user experience and will put you in front of all the current available softwares.

192 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. create new types for electronic version of books and journal articles

Include new types for e-books and e-journal articles, which would include a url and accessed date.

43 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Android app of Mendeley

I would love to see an Android app of Mendeley. It would be very easy for android mobile device owners to organize their documents on the go.

53 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Citing a source within a source

I think it would be great if the manager could allow for a "Secondary Reference" category, that would be where the author has cited another author.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. add double-sided print capabilities

Add double-sided print capabilities/access to advanced print dialogue to the print option in Mendeley. Printing everything one-sided is not very economical! Thanks!

132 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Automatic periodic scan of databases

A tool to automatically scan databases (NCBI, Web of Science) and retrieve papers with keywords on a weekly, monthly, etc (customizable) basis

45 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. When "Select text" is shown selected, the mouse controller actually is the pan

When I select "select text" icon while working on one document and then open another document, the toolbar shows that the "select text" is being selected, but the mouse controller has switched to pan.

I need to click "pan" and then "select text" to select or highlight text on a new document. This used to work properly on older versions.

I'm using version 1.13.4 on Ubuntu Trusty.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Smart folders working as smart playlist in iTunes

It would be super useful to be able to sort papers with smart folders where users could include papers of certain authors form certain journal or whichever filter they want to use even exclude papers by some conditions (basically a "permanent" filter).
    I have included a YouTube video to those who are not familiar with smart (play)lists:

http://youtu.be/6RpfrESlOFw?t=1m58s

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Make a drop-down abstract option within the list of publications in the central pane

It is inconvenient to see only 16 lines of the abstract in the right panel upon selecting a publication, and often I would not only like to see the title in the list of publications but the abstract as well. It would be nice if clicking on the entry, or a part of the entry would produce the entire abstract just below the entry within the list.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Plugin that works for both Microsoft and Libre Office

Please make the Mendeley plugin for LibreOffice work with .docx files so that teams that use microsoft office and libre office can work together on the same document without having to export each time it switched hands. Thanks.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. continue to support mac word 2008

It's a shame you withdrawed support for mac word 2008, since a lot of people are still using it (that includes me!)!!!

31 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Scharfes s in first author name creates invalid bibtex key

When the first author's last name contains a "scharfes s" (ß), as for instance in

Beißert, U., König, M. & Bargstädt, H.-J., 2010. Soft Constraint-based simulation of execution strategies in building engineering. Journal of Simulation, 4(4), pp.222–231. Available at: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/doifinder/10.1057/jos.2010.8 [Accessed September 11, 2013].

The resulting automatically generated Bibtex key is: "Beißert2010"
    it should be "Beissert2010" or "Beiert2010". Either way is fine, but I cannot cite a Bibtex key containing a ß as it is invalid.

Thanks
    Max

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Include journal abbreviations in API

Dear Mendeley,

It is great that journal abbreviations are now supported in Mendeley Desktop. However, it seems that there is no way to use journal abbreviations when using the Mendeley API. Would it be possible to include support for it in the API?

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Enable File Organizer to organize files so as to match the folder organization the user has already defined in Mendeley Desktop

Users define the logical organization of their references using Mendeley Desktop folders. It would be nice if the physical organization of downloaded papers on the local hard drive also matched this organization. Currently, File Organizer does not enable you to do this, and instead only organizes files by year, author etc.

211 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Allow sub-folders to be moved to higher-level folders

I've accidentally moved a folder into another folder (so it has become a sub-folder) and discovered that there is no way of moving it back, short of creating a new top-level folder and copying all of the contents to it. I suggest making it possible to move a sub-folder up a level so it is a main-level folder.

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Allow tagging the highlighted text within the PDFs

Highlighting and adding notes to the PDFs are no use if a researcher cannot tag them with specific ideas.

In general, we read the articles to identify which parts are important in building our own arguments or to specifically identify what we want to quote or cite from them.

So, just tagging the PDFs with general themes is no use. And, it is too time consuming to review all your notes to see which sections were of interest to you.

Thus, we directly want to tag the sentence(s)/paragraphs. And, once we search for a tag (e.g. impacts of poverty), we…

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 107 108
  • Don't see your idea?

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base