General

What can we do to help your research?

Here you can suggest and vote on improvements for future Mendeley releases.

If you have a suggestion regarding a specific part of Mendeley, please use the links on the right hand side of the window to add your suggestion to the corresponding area.

If you are looking for help using Mendeley or encounter any problems, please visit our Support Forum

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Enable the built-in PDF reader to recognize annotations (notes, highlights, etc.) made in external PDF readers (such as Acrobat and Evince).

The built-in PDF reader do not recognize annotations (notes, highlights, etc.) made in external PDF readers (such as Acrobat Reader and Evince). The problem is twofold:
    (1) when I include notes on Mendeley, I must export the notes as a new PDF file, so they cannot e changed in another PDF reader; and
    (2) when I include notes on my Android device (with any PDF reader), the notes are not recognized by Mendeley.

My suggestion is to enable the Mendeley's built-in PDF reader to recognize such annotations. So the changes made both on my tablet (external reader) or on my…

2,200 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    168 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Provide several colours for highlighting the pdf

This would allow more thorough work with the document, such as highlighting by topics or by importance

120 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Create a Mendeley Google Drive addons

Create a Mendeley Google Drive Addons to allow the same features of the Word Plugin. This will sky rocket Google Drive for the production of articles.

https://developers.google.com/apps-script/quickstart/docs

124 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Web  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Enable the built-in PDF reader to print the document

to enable the built-in PDF reader to print the document using the standard print dialog

60 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Use full name of journal instead of ellipsis (...)

When using the "search by title" function, if the journal's name is long, the name is trimmed and ellipsis is added. However, the full name is not available when I copy the article as a bibtex entry. This means I have to manually add the journal title every time this happens.

31 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Mendeley Import should work on the new APS websites

It used to work with the old version of the website, so it should also work now.

61 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Web  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Enable File Organizer to organize files so as to match the folder organization the user has already defined in Mendeley Desktop

Users define the logical organization of their references using Mendeley Desktop folders. It would be nice if the physical organization of downloaded papers on the local hard drive also matched this organization. Currently, File Organizer does not enable you to do this, and instead only organizes files by year, author etc.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Enable sorting in the main pane by ANY field

The sorting functionality is restricted to
    Favorite
    Read/Unread
    File Attached
    Authors
    Title
    Year
    Published In
    Added

However, citations include many more fields that could (and in my opinion should) be used to allow sorting. I want to be able to right click on the field bar and choose which fields I want to populate and select which field I want to sort by by toggling the column header (similar to Windows Explorer).

Any fields that are accessible to Mendeley should be able to be a sort term.

41 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Show which references in Mendeley have been cited in a Word document

When working on extensive papers allot of papers are read and imported in Mendeley, but there is no way to check whether those papers have actually been cited in a Word Document. Something similar to the check mark that the native Word reference manager uses to identify which articles have been cited in the current document.

67 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Be able to flag papers you want to read more carefully at a later moment

Add a new category under My Library similar to Favorites but named Flagged for papers that are extra interesting but don't qualify to be favorites. This can be useful as a "temporary favorites" catalog for instance if there are some papers you need to read more carefully later on or if you want to keep them highlighted while writing a certain paper or preparing a talk etc.

300 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. enable direct export to Mendeley from Google Scholar and EBSCO

This will increase the notoriety of Mendeley as reference manager and save a lot of time for Mendeley users.

FYI, currently Google scholar allows direct export to Import into BibTeX Import into EndNote Import into RefMan Import into RefWorks and EBSCO allows Direct Export to RefWorks and EndNote Web and Direct Exports in RIS Format (e.g. CITAVI, EasyBib, EndNote, ProCite, Reference Manager, Zotero).

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Assign a label in "All Document" section for each pdf to show the folder that it belongs to.

Assume you import a large amount of pdf to your Mendeley Desktop. Now you create some folders and subfolders to categorize your PDFs.
    Then you go to "All Documents" and try to categorize pdfs. you do it for 50 PDFs and for some reason decide to do the rest later.
    After a while you open Mendeley to categorize the rest, so you go to all documents. Your problem starts!! You don't know which one is categorized before. I mean you cannot recognize the 50 PDFs which you already categorized in "All Document" section.

60 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Sync with your Google Scholar account and the new Library, such that Mendeley imports your citations AND the papers you've cited

Google Scholar now has a library feature. When you have set up a Google Scholar account, it tracks your publications, and makes them available via your library. It will also automatically track all the papers you've cited in your own publications. It would be cool if Mendeley could retrieve those citations, given your Google Scholar credentials.

99 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Would like to add images and presentations that I use for my research with references

I use many images, images of graphs and presentations that I reference and would like to include these as this forms my single repository for all my studies.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Create a keyboard shortcut to add a new tag

It would be to enhace the classification work and would extremely helpful to sistematic review studies.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. 27 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Mendley should store current session somewhere and should reopen all the opened files if it crashes or gets shutdown accidently.

If a computer gets shutdown accidentally or user closes mendley by mistake ,all the files he had opened to read are gone. When user restarts mendeley , he has to search for all the files and has to open all the files which he was reading one by one. I request you to introduce a session storage facility in which mendeley will store all the information about the current session. And when reopened, it would automatically open all the files that were opened at the time of shutting down mendeley. If the user is closing the application himself, it should…

413 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Option to show only the hightlights of a paper, instead of the whole paper

Implement the option to only show the highlights of a paper, instead of the whole paper. This will improve finding the needed hightlight for example a quote

178 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. create subfolders for each folder in my library

so basically, may be the feature is already there, but I don't see it !
    It would be great if Mendely creates subfolder in the document directory based on groups/folders that users makes. I have 10 folders, and under each 20 documents. but Mendely store all 200 at one place. I would to have them in the subfolder !

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Remove the preference for searching Google Scholar and make PMID or DOI much more evident as search criteria.

The Google Scholar search is not working for many people, and is inferior to PMID or DOI, ISBN, etc. Nonetheless, the Google Scholar search is right on top in a bright yellow box for some reason. I suggest de-emphasising Google Scholar or at least make the other search criteria equally evident.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 379 380
  • Don't see your idea?

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base