I suggest you ...

save pdf metadata directly to file like in mp3s

1,125 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
ducati67ducati67 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
declined  ·  MendeleyAdminMendeley (Admin, Mendeley) responded  · 

This has been logged with our Development Team.

Quite a few users have voiced concerns with losing metadata in the event of a database corruption, which is why this has been requested. Although you would have to do it manually, you can create a backup of your database by gong to ‘Help’ —> ‘Create Backup’ which will create a backup of your database and associated metadata.

79 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Frank BungartzFrank Bungartz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Could you please clarify this: Here you say this request to enable Mendely to save metadata to a PDF as XMP is "declined" (with the absurd suggestion you could do something similar by just doing a backup !?).
    Well, at the same time this feature is listed as "planned" here:
    http://feedback.mendeley.com/forums/4941-general/suggestions/185965-appending-xmp-to-the-pdfs
    So - I would like to know: Do you plan to ever support XMP writing to a PDF or do you say it will definitely not be implemented?
    Like several contributors to this request have pointed out: adding XMP to files is much about true portability of metadata associated with PDFs. Now that there are many more platforms similar to Mendeley out there and Mendeley has left the open source realm declining to support portability doesn't "smell too good..."

• John FieldmanJohn Fieldman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Many of the concerns and claims about mandeley are about the "broken links" "lose of the links because change Os" "lose of links because change the PC" etc.
    All this problems would be solved by this feature.
    Imagine a option like "embed bibliography data to documents"
    And all the data displayed at right panel, personal tags, notes, comments would be Embedded on the files
    something like ID3 for mp3, Vorbis comment EXIF (for images) embed XMP.

Imagine could give a pendrive with a sort of documents to someone and when they drag and drop the files and folder, all the reference data are there, even a pdf or document that are not a paper (in other words with no DOI, Pmed number or metadata made by the publisher)

Imagine could change from Pc or OS and simply drag and drop the library folder to the new Mendeley Desktop. and done ! all the documents and bibliography data are there.

That would end the problem of having to deal with the documents and database separately. What ever results and broken links and other complications.

embed XMP would be great

It could become a standart on bibliography metadata for documents that need to be referenced.

• VivViv commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need to sync my pdf library across multiple machines, and it's really, really annoying that doing so basically ruins what makes mendeley useful. I agree, metadata needs to be something written into the pdf file itself. I have edited my library around three times over now, and it's getting annoying.

• BerBer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adimin !! Not create a Backup of the library, but save the metadata inside the file, inside the PDF, like in mp3 or jpeg !!

So when you send a pdf to many people, these guy only have to drag and drop the PDF on Mendeley desktop, and the metadata will be read by the Mendeley.

Mendeley team, look at our despair. This feature is very very important !!!!!

I will be great when you are migrating to other computer or other OS.

• mlsmls commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Doing it manually is not a realistic option. I have 1500 references, just like anyone else who uses the paid version.

• Ziyad SaeedZiyad Saeed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I exported the Mendeley database to bibtex and opened it in Jabref A quick correction of the paths and used Jabref's build in feature to add metadata as XMP to the pdf files itself. BUt I don't think Mendeley even reads the xmp metadata from the pdf's.

• PatrickPatrick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This, definitely this. There's no reason I should have to edit the reference file more than once.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

would be great... also as a step towards better integration of reference managing with e-reader managing... for my e-reader to display the correct author and title (the minimum i'd need for browsing pdf's on my e-reader) i now have to edit the metadata with other software, apart from what i do in mendeley. it would be nice not to have to do this double work...

• kk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This the most important feature I need.Please make it possible before my Windows breaks down again.

• zodiumzodium commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is huge. I like using Mendeley and will probably get a paid account, but I am very uncomfortable knowing that I could end up losing my metadata in the event of a corrupt database or some other error with essentially nothing I can do to protect myself.

• Ryan PavlikRyan Pavlik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looks like XMP is the way to go. If a user doesn't choose "organize my files", then I'd say put it in an XMP sidecar file so you don't anger the user by modifying their file. If you have permission to modify stuff (here, by moving), though, I'd say embed the XMP right in the PDF.

• danieldaniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@krzysztof pijarski ...yes, me too. And I have to format my hard disk...so i don't want to lose all the titles, authors, year of publication, etc...

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base